In the spirit of the times and following the example of Manchester and Newcastle, the Hull Literary and Philosophical Society was formed in November1822.
A small group of people had met at The Dog and Duck Inn during the previous month to plan this as a successor to several short lived literary clubs.
A key reason for the formation of the Society was the raising of funds to purchase a collection of natural and artificial specimens from Mr W.W. Hyde who was offering them for sale. This later formed the nucleus of the Society’s museum.
Lectures were arranged (mainly scientific) and the Society flourished so that by 1885 the membership was 457.
As it grew in importance it was able to purchase premises in the new Royal Institution in Albion Street. This building was opened in 1854. The museum costs eventually grew beyond the means of the Society and in 1900 the collection was handed over to the City.
In 1943 the building was bombed and the collection largely lost. as was the library.
Since then the Society has had no permanent home but continues to flourish with a current membership of 468. Income from the compensation paid as a result of loss of the museum ensures that membership subscription is contained at an affordable level .
It meets at the Royal Hotel and carries on the traditions of its forefathers by means of a Winter lecture programme on sixteen Tuesday evenings. This embraces a wide variety of subjects: -literature, art, philosophy and science to entertain and educate people of diverse interests, from all walks of life.